What's Going Around | Summer Brings Illness
Summer is upon us! And the docs at AdventHealth Centra Care know that with summertime comes an increase in breaks, cuts, bug bites and other ailments. Don’t let your long summer break be more about risk than rest.
Centra Care has collected massive amounts of data that points to an increase in certain complaints this time of year.
To avoid injury when participating in summertime activities:
- Be sure to warm up and cool down when appropriate
- Wear protective gear like bike helmets, wrist, elbow guards & pads
- Get plenty of rest, especially when your muscles are tired
- Prevent “overuse” injuries (i.e. stress fractures, tendonitis, or inflamed joints) by not overdoing exercise.
- Condition your body before jumping into new activities at full force.
Along with breaks and bruises, many of our walk-in urgent care centers are seeing increases in other illnesses this time of year. Centra Care physicians are reporting an increase in Otitis Externa (swimmers ear) along with a jump in Contact Dermatitis.
When you or one of your children have a concerning bump, cut, bruise, illness, rash or burn this summer, head to AdventHealth Centra Care.