Back-to-school activities bring on an array of emotions in students, parents and teachers, alike. And sometimes, those emotions can cause stress and nervousness that manifest into actual illness. As a result, Centra Care physicians have seen a sharp increase lately in patients complaining of abdominal pain, with the following locations leading the pack:
- Winter Garden Village – up 500%
- Oviedo – up 400% (kids)
- Azalea Park, Lee Road & Winter Park – up 300% (kids)
- Kissimmee & University – up 300%
When you see a doctor due to belly pain, detailed information will be collected in order to rule out a serious problem like appendicitis. Questions regarding the location of the pain, frequency and duration will be asked as well as identifying any red flags like sudden weight loss or blood in vomiting or stool. A physical examination will also be conducted and blood and/or stool tests may be administered.
If there is no physical reason found for your bellyache, the pains may be anxiety or stress-related. Sometimes just talking to someone you trust about what’s going on in your life can ease the symptoms. Exercise is also a great stress reliever for both kids and adults.
Here are some other tips that may be helpful with abdominal pain:
- Sip water or other clear fluids.
- Avoid solid food for the first few hours.
- If you have been vomiting, wait 6 hours, and then eat small amounts of mild foods such as rice, applesauce, or crackers. Avoid dairy products.
- If the pain is high up in your abdomen and occurs after meals, antacids may help. Avoid citrus, high-fat foods, fried or greasy foods, tomato products, caffeine, alcohol and carbonated beverages.
- Avoid aspirin, ibuprofen or other anti-inflammatory medications, and narcotic pain medications unless your health care provider prescribes them. If you know that your pain is not related to your liver, you can try acetaminophen.
Every Centra Care location treats adult and pediatric patients without an appointment or you can make an Online Reservation at centracare.org. If you or someone in your family needs a vaccination or suffers from an illness, allergy or injury that needs medical attention, Centra Care has over 30 locations, serving you 7-days a week.